Campus and Community Involvement
Showcase Your Talents
There are many ways to support activities across campus and the Decatur community as a student in the School of Education. A few ideas include:
- Join the Illinois Education Association, Millikin’s student affiliate for the National Education Association and professional organization in the state of Illinois. Members learn how to create change and be a part of educational reform, become politically active and promote positive legislation that affects teaching and schools.
- Be inducted in to the national education honor society of Pi Lambda Theta, for teacher candidates whose GPA is 3.2 or higher.
- Enroll in ED172 and travel to Chicago for a week long cultural exploration and school internship during the spring semester.
- Meet, socialize and work with international students in the English Language Center on campus.
- Volunteer at the Dennis Lab School and Millikin Community Garden.
- Travel abroad for a semester, summer, or January term for a global experience that may lead to student teaching or international teaching after graduation.
- Volunteer for Not Forgotten, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to developing awareness, resources, and partnerships throughout the Central Illinois communities for children and adults with special needs, their families and their educators.