Areas of Study
Being an education major at Millikin means you are part of a cohort of students who collaborate, grow, and succeed together. You will benefit from small class sizes, innovative teaching strategies, co-teaching instruction, field experiences, and research projects.
Our education programs are customizable, meaning you can create a path that suits your interests and career goals. Working with your academic advisor, you can personalize your plan of study with the addition of specialty endorsements, study abroad experiences, and ample time teaching and observing in the classroom.
The School of Education offers 9 majors that lead to teacher licensure:
- Art Education (Specialist K-12)
- Biology Education (Grades 9-12)
- Elementary Education (Grades 1-6)
- English Education (Grades 9-12)
- Mathematics Education (Grades 9-12)
- Music Education (Specialist K-12)
- Physical Education (Specialist K-12)
- Social Science Education (Grades 9-12)
- Spanish Education (Specialist K-12)
We also offer a major that does not lead to teacher licensure:
- Instructional Development
The School of Education offers three endorsements, which you may add to your choice of teacher licensure program:
- Bilingual Education (Pre K-Grade 12)
- English as a Second Language (Pre K-Grade 12)
- Special Education (valid for the grade range of the Professional Educator License)
Licensure Only Programs
Millikin offers licensure-only programs for students who already hold a Bachelor’s degree, which provides the coursework and field experiences required for teacher licensure in the State of Illinois.
Required professional education coursework for the elementary education licensure-only program is offered through evening courses in the Flexible Learning format. The courses required to complete Secondary Education and K-12 Specialist licensure-only programs are offered through a combination of traditional daytime courses and Flexible Learning evening courses.
Teacher candidates must have a C- or higher in all content major course work as well as all Education course work. Some specific education-related courses may not transfer if they are ten or more years old. Teacher candidates may also choose to add Special Education or ESL/Bilingual Education to their subject-specific license. Contact us for further information on our Licensure Only Education programs.