Division of Alumni and Development
Position Title: Senior Director of Alumni Engagement
Department: Alumni & Development
Job Summary: This position is responsible for the overall strategic management of the university’s alumni engagement efforts that include: planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating programs and events that are designed to identify, engage, cultivate, solicit, and steward Millikin University alumni and friends.
This position has been designated as an "Essential" Employee under the Emergency Preparedness Plan in order to ensure that University operations continue uninterrupted during periods of public health or other emergencies, including those that require Millikin University to close or restrict operations.
All employees are expected to uphold the following values of the University:
- Intellectual and creative inquiry
- Dignity and respect for all persons
- Inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility
- Honest, open dialogue and reflection
- Advancement of the common good
- Supervise a team dedicated to building relationships with alumni and friends that results in increased involvement and annual fund giving participation.
- Manage and support the Alumni Association Board of Directors.
- Develop, coordinate and schedule travel opportunities for alumni and friends.
- Manage budgets for Alumni Engagement, Alumni Association Board, and Homecoming.
- Create and implement alumni programming and events that strategically engage alumni and friends, providing tangible benefits to alumni and current students.
- Establish and build relationships with a wide range of alumni, while working closely to identify volunteers,
- Coordinate and support existing and new alumni clubs, groups, boards, and committees; ie. Fraternities/sororities, regional networks, academic groups, affinity based.
- Oversee the University’s Homecoming celebration.
- Manage regular communication with alumni and donors in collaboration with Marketing and Media Relations, including editing and developing content.
Contribute to the Alumni and Development Division and the University
- Contribute to the Division and University initiatives, meetings, team sessions, and committees as appropriate or assigned.
- Host and staff division and university events as appropriate.
- Represent the University to the Decatur and higher education community in a professional manner.
- Maintain and exhibit loyalty to the University, the Alumni & Development Division, and the Development profession.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Alumni & Development
Minimum Position Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advance degree preferred
- Five to seven years of experience in the management of alumni relations, fundraising or related fields preferred.
- Demonstrated success in working with and motivating volunteers, prospects and donors. Employee management experience
- Outstanding interpersonal skills – be a “people” person – enjoy working and communicating with others
- Evidence of personal initiative and follow through
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to plan, evaluate, and improve initiatives to achieve desired results
- Thorough knowledge Millikin University
- Be a competent writer of business communications
- Must have valid driver’s license.
Manual Dexterity: Sufficient to operate a keyboard
Physical Effort: Typically sitting at a desk or table. Occasional standing and/or walking for extended periods of time. Occasionally lifting 25-50 lbs. Tasks requiring average visual acuity and hearing.
Working Conditions: Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas, occasional outdoor exposure to weather, occasional evening and weekend working hours required as well as occasional travel.