Division of Enrollment
Position Title: Graduate Admission Counselor
Department: Office of Admission
FLSA Category: Exempt
Reports to: Director of Admission
Works Closely with: Dean of Admission & Financial Aid, Registrar, Director of the School of Nursing, Director of Exercise Science and Sport, Director of the MBA program
Job Summary: The Graduate Admission Counselor at Millikin University serves as the primary recruiter of graduate students. The position requires the candidate to gain a broad understanding of academic goals in higher education that lead to a master’s or doctoral degree, a detailed understanding of the unique curricular offerings and the University’s academic structure and the ability to be able to articulate specific requirements for the various graduate programs offered at Millikin. The Graduate Admission Counselor will actively build relationships and presence in the regional community to best sell the benefits of the Millikin graduate experience. This person will use “best practices” recruiting methods and approved marketing messages to recruit and enroll students capable of matriculating and graduating from Millikin University.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Intellectual and creative inquiry
- Inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility
- Dignity and respect for all persons
- Integrity and responsibility
- Honest, open dialogue and reflection
- Advancement of the common good
1. Nurture, build, and sustain ongoing professional relationships with prospective Graduate students to achieve assigned enrollment management objectives.
2. Understand and be able to articulate the design, format and value of the Graduate programs to prospective students.
3. Develop alliances and partnerships with area businesses/employers through regular visits and routine recruitment contacts.
4. Create an effective recruitment plan to include travel and activities both on and off campus to achieve enrollment management objectives most effectively, present this plan for the Dean of Admission’s approval, and then execute the approved plan within the approved budget.
5. Monitor the inquiry, prospect, application and deposit numbers on a regular basis to focus on attaining assigned objectives.
6. Ensure that all inbound and outbound communication with prospects and applicants is accurately recorded in an extremely timely manner within the appropriate software using protocols.
7. Evaluate applications for admission, working with the Directors of the graduate programs and academic liaisons to best connect and leverage our academic areas.
8. Document activity and decisions about applications for admission in accordance with established standards.
9. Communicate with prospective students about financial aid, financial resources and how to pay for college.
10. Other duties as assigned, including:
- Support day-to-day function of the Admission Office
- Follow up with enrolled graduate students in an informal, as needed basis
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Admission.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- Minimum of three to five years in admission or recruitment or related professional experience is preferred
- Ability and desire to effectively and credibly interact with graduate students, university faculty, university administrators
- Desire and ability to articulate key aspects and benefits of a Millikin University education
- Ability and willingness to learn and properly use Enrollment technology in routine performance of daily job functions
- Availability and willingness to work M-F 8AM-4:30PM as well as extended evening and weekend hours as needed, and willingness to enthusiastically travel off campus to recruit students as necessary. These busy times may occur several months per year.
- Develop, collect, analyze and interpret data used for student enrollment
- Possess outstanding writing and communication skills pertinent to business correspondence
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Demonstrated ability to self-mange time, activity and spending, staying focused on accomplishment of objectives
- Outstanding communication skills
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Requires daily use of Outlook email, Ellucian (Student Information System), Salesforce (Client Relations Management System), MS –Excel, and MS Windows
- A high aptitude for quickly establishing mutual rapport and comfort meeting people for the first time in person and on the phone
- Ability to understand which students are highest priority and why they are the highest
- Problem solving skills including complex decisions about admission and denial of applications for admission
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Occasionally sitting at a desk or table
- Occasionally standing or walking; intermittently standing/sitting/stooping
- Occasionally lifting 25lbs. or more
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative areas
- Alternative or flexible work schedules
Questions about Employment at millikin?
Fill out a form, and a Millikin staff or faculty member will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you.