Executive Assistant and Office Manager
- Campus LifeStudent Affairs
- FLSA Category
Division of Student Affairs
In Student Affairs, we are successful when our students, constituents, and stakeholders are successful. We’re currently looking for an executive assistant/office manager who can be a supportive influencer who empowers supervisor, division leadership, and supervisees. The ideal candidate will be solutions-oriented and have exceptional communication skills with meticulous attention to detail. Given the dynamic nature of student services and university operations, we rely on our executive assistant/office manager to be self-motivated, reliable, solutionsoriented, flexible, and consistent while maintaining the highest degree of professionalism, decorum, and confidentiality.
Job Summary: All positions in Student Affairs are expected to uphold and fulfill the mission, vision, values and traditions of Millikin University and the Division of Student Affairs. The executive assistant/office manager provides a high level of confidential assistance, support, and advice to the Vice President for Student Affairs while also managing the daily operations of the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. The position requires occasional evening and weekend hours to support operations and signature events and will perform additional responsibilities related to operational and mission-critical needs. Approximate work percentages are as follows which are subject to adjustments: executive-level assistance (30%); office management (20%); student supervision (15%); budgetary assistance (20%); and administrative assistance (15%).
Examples of Essential Responsibilities:
- Assisting and supporting primarily the Vice President for Student Affairs (“VPSA”) and, as requested, Student Affairs Leadership Team members (“SALT”) (e.g., answering multiple phone lines; scheduling appointments; handling executive and confidential correspondences; taking notes and minutes; assisting with meeting and event preparation and logistics; arranging complete and accurate travel logistics; maintaining audit-ready electronic and paper filing systems; etc.).
- Using industry standards for professional business communications to research, draft, edit/polish, prepare, send, and archive emails, memoranda, letters, etc. in appropriate formats while ensuring the utmost confidentiality, professionalism, and protection of information in compliance with FERPA, HIPPA, Title IX, and other university policies and statutory regulations.
- Assisting with all aspects of space/infrastructure planning (e.g., moves, additions, changes to workstations, etc.).
- Ensuring executive suite operations run efficiently (e.g., managing drop-in office traffic and sign-in processes; ensuring visitors get to appropriate office(s); proposing and, as requested, developing procedures; managing electronic and other filing systems; overseeing supply and equipment inventory controls; ensuring that office equipment is in working and safe condition; etc.).
- Assisting the VPSA and, as requested, Student Affairs Leadership Team (SALT) members (e.g., creating, refining, and maintaining office processes that promote organizational excellence and accountability at the unit and division levels; ensuring students’ and “customers’” needs are addressed in a timely manner; helping to ensure division and university goals and objectives are accomplished; etc.).
- Hiring and supervising student staff in the OVPSA (e.g., coordinating with student employment office; recruiting; interviewing; hiring; scheduling; training; coaching; approving timesheets; evaluating; disciplining; maintaining office and performance standards, protocols, and proper decorum; monitoring and tracking student wages in accordance with university policies and statutory regulations; etc.).
- Assisting the VPSA with monitoring the Student Affairs budget (e.g., preparing and reviewing monthly statements with VPSA; processing financial and budgetary transactions; depositing funds; preparing check requests; ensuring accuracy of transactions; preparing invoices; assisting with billing for revenue-generating initiatives; handling and reconciling purchases using approved vendors; managing credit card use and reconciliations; making recommendations for improvement and/or changes in processes and systems; etc.).
- Accessing university systems (e.g., Salesforce/TargetX platform, Ellucian Banner, etc.) to assist VPSA with supporting and responding to students or responding to inquiries while maintaining an exceptionally high level of confidentiality and compliance with FERPA, HIPPA, Title IX, and other university policies and statutory regulations.
- Checking and, as appropriate, responding to designated emails throughout each day to ensure timely responses to inquiries within 24 hours M-Th and first thing Monday mornings (e.g., student absence alert program, medical exception process, etc.).
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- High school diploma.
- Prior experience performing duties related to the position.
Desirable Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Prior experience in a college/university setting.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact positively with diverse individuals.
- Ability to work a modified schedule with advanced notice based on the needs of the department, division, and University.
- Strong time-management and people skills, high degree of flexibility, and excellent multitasking ability.
- Proficient user of personal computing devices with significant mastery of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), web browsers, etc.
- Proficient user of Ellucian Banner SIS, Salesforce CRM, or similar systems.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced office environment with frequent interruptions.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table
- Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or less;
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range.
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas.
- Some evening and weekends hours may be necessary with flex utilized during the work week.