Position Summary: This position will report to the Director of Golf and Athletic Director. This internship is designed as a 10-month experience from August 1, to May 31. The appointment is for one year, with a possible one-year renewal.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
• Intellectual and creative inquiry
• Inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility
• Dignity and respect for all persons
• Integrity and responsibility
• Honest, open dialogue and reflection
• Advancement of the common good
Primary Responsibilities - Intern Functions:
Under the guidance of the Director of Golf, the Intern will:
1. Assist with on-the-green coaching and individual player development.
2. Assist with coaching junior varsity and varsity during practice and competitions.
3. Assist with identification, recruitment, and retention of student-athletes.
4. Assist in all areas of team development, including in-season and out-of-season activities as allowed by Millikin, CCIW, and NCAA.
5. Assist in the day-to-day operation, including but not limited to, video editing, travel and equipment.
6. Assist in promoting the golf program through social media and game-day events.
7. Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Golf.
Under the guidance of the Athletic Director, the Intern will:
1. Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the structure and organization of the NCAA, specifically Division III.
2. Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the role of athletics in a relatively small comprehensive University.
3. Have an opportunity to gain exposure to athletic operations and event management beyond golf.
4. Perform duties in the area of event management.
5. Perform duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics to assist with different sports programs at Millikin.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Golf coaching and/or playing experience at the collegiate level
• The successful candidate must demonstrate effective and excellent leadership, motivational, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
• Dexterity to operate a keyboard
• Typically sitting/standing/bending/stooping
• Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or more
• Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
• Outdoor exposure to weather
• Alternative or flexible work schedule
• Travel and/or periodic overnight travel
Background Checks and or Testing:
X Background and criminal history check
£ Physical exam
£ Drug test
X Driving record check
£ Credit check
This internship does not necessarily entitle the individual a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.