- Staley Library
- FLSA Category
Division of Staley Library
Position Title: Acquisitions/Circulation Specialist
Department: Staley Library
Job Summary: Provide confidential administrative and budgetary support to the Director of Staley Library and other library faculty. Be responsible for timely and accurate library acquisitions processes and record keeping. Assure provision of excellent Circulation Desk services to Millikin University students, faculty, administrators, and staff, as well as to community members and visitors from other academic institutions statewide.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
Under the guidance of the Library Director:
1. Monitor use of the Staley Library budget, compile/maintain the Library's fiscal and acquisitions records and statistics and run other statistical reports as needed.
2. Coordinate office functions for the Library, including ordering and dispensing office supplies, communicating with vendors, and acting as primary Facilities contact for library maintenance and repairs.
3. Place and monitor orders for library subscriptions and materials, receive ordered materials, assure accuracy and completeness of invoices to be paid for received materials, and process invoices for payment. Work with suppliers and Business Office as issues arise (including claims and cancellations), and with academic department staff for occasional cost-sharing purchases.
4. Reconcile charge account billing statements with purchase records and work with the Business Office as needed if discrepancies occur.
5. Deposit at the MU Cashier's Office circulation and other monies as needed.
6. Maintain and report records of gifts received.
Under the guidance of the Access Services Coordinator:
7. Open the library five days a week and prepare building for the day's public services.
8. Provide circulation and basic reference assistance to Millikin University students, faculty, administrators, and staff, as well as to community members, alumni, and visitors from other academic institutions, including appropriate referrals to librarians. Courteously and helpfully interpret library policies and procedures for same.
9. Aid patrons in the use of printers, scanners, microfilm reader/scanner, and other library equipment.
10. Coordinate the hiring, training, monitoring, and evaluation of student employees. Supportively provide work assignments and supervisory guidance for student staff, including assuring appropriate desk coverage and quality of student work. Collect, ensure accuracy of, and process Library student employee time sheets.
11. Assist in creation, planning, and execution of library outreach efforts, e.g., displays and events.
12. Oversee library stack maintenance and inventory, including shelf reading, shifting, and initiation of de-selection projects.
1. During any library hiring process, and while maintaining confidentiality, manage travel accommodations, reimbursement, record keeping, and correspondence.
2. Within parameters of position responsibilities, propose new or changed policies and procedures to accomplish own responsibilities, related operations, and Library mission.
3. Actively support Library colleagues, Library service goals, and the University mission. Support overall Library operations and services through projects and other duties as assigned.
4. Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Two years of college or equivalent minimum required; associate’s or bachelor's degree preferred.
- One to three years' relevant experience required; work experience with budget management and in libraries preferred, and in an academic setting desirable.
- Computer proficiency required; working experience with library management systems preferred; must be an experienced and excellent user of word processing and other computer applications (Microsoft product experience preferred).
- Good interpersonal, supervisory, verbal, written, and basic math skills, along with customer/patron service skills required; must be timely, meticulous, and thorough with multiple details.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to learn new things required; must be comfortable with a varied pace, overlapping tasks, and change.
- Demonstrated reliability and ability to work well both independently and with others as required.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard (or accessible equivalent).
- Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Loading, unloading, pushing, and steering book trucks.
- Office/Library/computer room environment
- Occasional exposure to dust.