Video Audition Requirements
School of Theatre and Dance offers a Video Audition option to international students, students from Alaska, Hawaii, and other American protectorates such as Guam, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands, students of military families serving abroad, and out-of-state students who have been seen at off-campus auditions. Students wishing to submit an audition video must first apply to and be accepted by the Millikin University Office of Admissions. Once admitted, students may then complete the School of Theatre and Dance Registration form and submit their video auditions. Please carefully follow the instructions below.
BFA Musical Theatre – Audition Requirements
- Acting: Please prepare one memorized contemporary monologue (written since 1960) from a published play, 30-45 seconds in length. The character should be close to your own age and performed without an accent (we want to hear your natural speaking voice). Monologues from films, musicals, or stand-alone works are not appropriate for this audition. Please avoid material by Christopher Durang.
- Voice: Two memorized songs from published Broadway literature (one written before 1970, one after 1970) and contrasting in style, i.e. up-tempo and ballad. Select 16 bars for the ballad and 32 bars for the up-tempo. These two songs should be representative of the range of your voice. You may include a 3rd song in a pop-rock style if you choose but it is not required. All selections must be performed with live accompaniment. Note: Please do not select material by Jason Robert Brown, Adam Guettel, or Stephen Sondheim. WHY?
- Dance: Click on the link for a LIST OF REQUIRED SKILLS FOR YOUR DANCE VIDEO.
BFA Acting – Audition Requirements
- Acting: Please prepare two memorized monologues from a published play, 30-45 seconds in length. The monologues should be contrasting in style and/or period and should feature a character who is close to your own age and performed without a regional dialect (we want to hear your natural speaking voice). Shakespeare is acceptable for a BFA Acting audition. Monologues from films, musicals, or stand-alone works are not appropriate for this audition. Please avoid material by Christopher Durang and please do not select a Puck monologue from A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Submitting Your Audition Materials
- All auditions must be submitted on video uploaded to YouTube.
- Once uploaded please send a link to Sean Morrissey, School of Theatre and Dance Recruitment Coordinator, with the subject line Broadway SOTAD VIDEO AUDITION.
- Videos do not need to be made public. If private, however, please grant access to Sean Morrissey so he may view and share your videos with the selection committee.
- Please do not attempt to email videos to us directly. The files will be too large to pass our security protocols and will be stripped from your email.
Dates and Deadlines
- Millikin offers rolling acceptance. Videos may be submitted at any time between September 15 and April 15. However, we recommend submitting your videos within 2 weeks of your acceptance to Millikin.
If you have questions regarding the video submission process please contact Jennifer Moore (School of Theatre and Dance Audition Coordinator).