Staley Library Mission
Staley Library advances student learning through:
- Education: Leading the Millikin community in the effective use of information resources and technologies through instruction and collaboration.
- Resources: Collecting and making accessible resources important to academic research, while preserving them for the future Millikin community.
- Services and Spaces: Providing friendly, helpful service with accommodating spaces for individuals and groups.
This mission was revised by library staff in May 2011.
Policies and Practices
Staley Library's policies are aimed at providing the most resources and services possible to the greatest portion of the Millikin community.
Anyone who enters Staley Library is required to refrain from behavior disruptive to library use. All children under 16 years must be supervised by an adult (18 years or older) and are governed by city curfew laws. As part of a smoke-free campus, tobacco use in Staley Library is prohibited, including, but not limited to, cigarettes (e-cigarettes, nicotine, clove, bidis, kreteks), cigars and cigarillos, hookah-smoked products, and oral tobacco (spit and spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff). Use of tobacco or smoking products near the building should be at a minimum of 15 feet from entrances. Abuse of any library or campus policies pertaining to behavior, computer use, or borrowing may result in permanent revocation of all library privileges.
This policy defines the library borrowing policy. The library is committed to protecting individual privacy to the greatest extent possible by professional standards and law, and also encourages equitable sharing of available resources.
Collection development policy
"Staley Library's mission must be understood in the light of Millikin University's dedication to comprehensive education that includes liberal arts, fine arts, professional studies, and business. Hence, Staley Library's collections exist primarily to support the university's curriculum, teaching, and undergraduate research, secondarily to support faculty research needs, institutional history, and recreational reading. This Collection Development Policy is intended as a guide to building and maintaining collections that continue to remain beneficial to the Millikin community by encouraging both structured research and serendipitous discovery, and engaging students and faculty with a variety of resources that spark creativity."
Computer and Internet use policy
Staley Library provides computers with Internet access, printers, and scanners for Millikin University students, faculty, and staff.
All other computer use in Staley Library is at the discretion of Staley Library staff.
Non-Millikin-affiliated computer users (community patrons) must present a valid photo ID and agree to abide by Staley Library and Millikin University computer usage policies.
- All computer use by patrons under 16 years must be supervised by an adult (aged 18 or older).
- Community patrons may use computers for a maximum of two hours a day.
- Priority for computer use will be always given to Millikin-affiliated users. Therefore, community users may be turned away or asked to give-up their computer during busy periods.
At the first-floor work stations:
- Internet use at Staley Library is for education and research, including access to the library's many electronic resources.
- Millikin-affiliated users can save information from the library's computers to their personal Millikin H:/drives, flash drives, or cloud based data storage. All information saved to the computer is erased when the computer is restarted.
- Millikin-affiliated users can use the library's computers to print from their myMILLIKIN printing accounts. (Printing is not available to non-Millikin users.)
We also provide wireless laptop checkout for in-library use by Millikin students, faculty and staff, with presentation of valid Millikin photo ID at the Circulation Desk. Staley Library is a wireless "hot spot" that can be accessed with your personally-owned laptop computers and wireless devices. Users of the Staley guest Wifi network are governed by library and Millikin University computer and technology policies (see above).
Anyone accessing lewd, obscene, and/or pornographic materials (as judged by library staff) on computers within the library (including personal laptops) will be asked to leave the library. Abuse of any library or campus policies pertaining to behavior, computer use, or borrowing may result in permanent revocation of all library privileges.
This policy identifies expectations and appropriate behavior as it relates to academic writing. It also addresses Reserves and the Fair Use doctrine.