Millikin SCORE Chapter # 296
SCORE is a National organization funded in part by the Small Business Administration. Millikin University hosts a chapter of SCORE and has done so for the past 41 years. SCORE provides resources and expertise to maximize the success of existing and emerging small business.
Decatur SCORE has helped many small local businesses to begin and sustain their business through the many experts that volunteer for SCORE. These experts are diverse in their knowledge from bankers, to builders, to accountants, and consultants. New clients are assigned to a mentor based on the need of the client.
Topics covered with clients may include:
- What entity should they operate as? Corporation Sub Charter S Corp, Sole Proprietor, Partner, LLC., etc.
- What is their business, product, service, both?
- What are their competitors?
- Who will buy their product or service?
- How will they market their product or service?
- Where will they locate their business?
- How do they determine how much will be sold?
- How do they determine their prices?
- What will their cash flow be each month?
In addition to mentors, Millikin University Tabor School of Business has offered the expertise of their professors. We have the resource of mentors nationally if we need specific questions answered.
Mentors are not expected to provide services for our client, but help them to know what questions need answering to become successful at business. It is the responsibility of the client to do the research necessary for operating their business and secure their own loans if needed.
SCORE Chicago's YouTube channel is very beneficial, by following their YouTube channel, you will be able to access business topics that can help you increase your profit and help your business in general.
Presented by SCORE and the Center For Entrepreneurship, the How to Start a Business course has helped numerous local entrepreneurs be successful with their business start-up plans. Whether an entrepreneur already owns a business, wants to start or purchase a business, or decides after careful analysis that business ownership is not for them at the present time, many of them praise the services and knowledge available through SCORE and the How to Start a Business course.
Connect with us on our Facebook page!
Dr. Joseph Schrodt
Mentor for SCORE
Are you interested in joining SCORE and helping small business owners succeed?
Every year, SCORE volunteers help thousands of entrepreneurs start small businesses and achieve new levels of success in their existing businesses. Volunteering at SCORE is a way for you to give back to your community, connect with fellow business owners, and pass on your knowledge and expertise to the next generation of entrepreneurs in your community.
SCORE volunteers provide confidential business mentoring services, both in person and online. We lead seminars and workshops to help small business owners meet their goals and achieve success. We help expand outreach of SCORE through marketing and alliance building in our local communities. We provide subject matter expertise by industries and professional skills.
As a SCORE Volunteer You Can:
- Share your success and expertise through mentoring
- Lead workshops and seminars
- Provide online or telephone mentoring directly from your home or office
- Serve in a leadership capacity with SCORE
- Serve within other capacity at SCORE (Marketing, IT, administration, finance, fundraising, HR, etc.)
- Have flexibility with your volunteering time
SCORE volunteers enjoy a variety of personal, local and national rewards:
- Enjoy the satisfaction of contributing to the success of others
- Share great experience with other SCORE volunteers
- Provide leadership in the business community
- Gain recognition and respect as a business mentor
- Grow professionally and personally
- Participate in lifelong learning
- Make new friends
Decatur SCORE Chapter #296 provides free and confidential business mentoring tailored to meet the needs of your small business. Whether you are just starting a business or expanding an established business, SCORE mentors are here to help you succeed.
We will take your information and match you up with a SCORE mentor who will best suit your needs. The assigned mentor will personally contact you to schedule an appointment. This process will take up to 5-7 business days.
Click here to request free counseling.
News & Events
March SCORE Breakfast
February SCORE Breakfast: Click here
November SCORE Breakfast: Click here
October SCORE Breakfast: Click here
SBA Veterans Event: Click here
September SCORE Breakfast: Click here
July SCORE Breakfast: Click here
June SCORE Breakfast: Click here
Click to view past newsletters: