Division of Enrollment (Athletics)
Position Title: Assistant Wrestling Coach Intern
Reports to: Head Wrestling Coach
Works Closely with: Athletic Department Staff; Wrestling Team Members
Position Summary: This position will report to the Head Wrestling Coach. This internship is designed as a 11 month educational experience from August 15 to July 15 and is designed to give an individual with an interest in coaching the opportunity to hone his skill development and coaching ability in one or more position areas. The appointment is for one year, with a possible one year renewal. Pursuing a graduate degree at a nearby university may be possible.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
Primary Responsibilities - Intern Functions:
Under the guidance of the Head Wrestling Coach, the Intern will:
- Learn the process for recruiting successful student athletes.
- Assist in recruitment and retention of wrestling players for Millikin University.
- Gain an understanding for the role of the student athlete in a DIII Athletic Program.
- Develop skills to compete for a full time assistant coaching position or graduate assistantship.
- Serve as a position coach.
- Develop ability to monitor academic progress of student-athletes.
Under the guidance of the Athletic Director, the Intern will:
- Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the structure and organization of the NCAA, specifically Division III.
- Have an opportunity to gain an understanding of the role of athletics in a relatively small comprehensive University.
- Have an opportunity to gain exposure to athletic operations and event management beyond wrestling.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Collegiate playing experience preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Typically sitting/standing/bending/stooping
- Occasionally lifting 25 lbs. or more
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Outdoor exposure to weather
- Alternative or flexible work schedule
- Travel and/or periodic overnight travel
Background Checks and or Testing:
X Background and criminal history check
£ Physical exam
£ Drug test
X Driving record check
£ Credit check
£ Other: _______________________
The stipend for this 11-month internship is $5500, and also includes a $1500 food allowance and on-campus housing. This internship does not necessarily entitle the individual a paid position at the conclusion of the internship.