Division of Enrollment
Position Title: Assistant Director
Department: Career Center
FLSA Category: Non-exempt
Reports to: Director, Career Center
Works Closely with: Director/Career Center. Faculty, Employers, Student Development Team, Alumni Office, Students and Alumni
Directly Supervises: possibly student workers
Office Summary: Comprehensive, centralized Career Center providing services in all aspects of the career development process, as well as managing student employment and supporting civic engagement and service-learning in the community.
Job Summary: The Assistant Director, under the direct supervision of the Director of the Career Center, shall assist the Director in providing leadership and direction for a comprehensive career planning office.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
Passion and enthusiasm
Dignity and respect for individuals
A diverse and inclusive community
Integrity and responsibility
Advancement of the greater good
1. Work with students in all aspects of the career development process, providing career coaching, job search assistance, and graduate school advisement.
2. Work to connect students to mentoring and other networking opportunities.
3. Plan, coordinate and market fairs – career, majors, graduate school, etc.
4. Plan, coordinate and conduct workshops and presentations for students related to career development, including job search, internships, resumes, interviewing and applying to graduate school.
5. Assist in the completion of the Annual Graduate First Destination Report, including obtaining and maintaining data needed to product report.
6. Maintenance of the Career Center homepage.
7. Serve as a backup administrator for Big Blue Jobs online student employment system.
8. Assist in hiring and training of office staff and student paraprofessional staff.
9. Assist in the employer development process.
10. Serve as a Secondary (Student Development) Advisor within Millikin's retention
program, advising a caseload of assigned at-risk students. This includes, but is not limited to: Contacting and meeting with advisees, collaborating with academic advisors, faculty, and other partners; using technology platforms to record student interactions, and attending required training and professional development regarding advising students
11. Complete other duties as assigned by the Director to support the mission of Millikin University and the Career Center.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
A Master’s Degree in education/college student personnel, counseling or related field is required.
Minimum of three years professional experience in higher education demonstrating a strong work ethic and exemplary skills in interpersonal communication, organization and time management.
MBTI Qualified preferred.
Strong commitment to student development and a desire to work with university students.
Knowledge of career development theory, effective job search techniques, and labor market trends.
Evening and weekend work required as needed/requested.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Use of a 10-key
- Typically sitting at a desk or table
- Occasionally lifting 25-50 lbs.
- Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas.