Division of College of Professional Studies
Position Title: Administrative Assistant for Undergraduate Program and Director
Department: School of Nursing
FLSA Category: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of the School of Nursing
Works Closely with: Department Chairs, Faculty, Staff, and Students
Directly Supervises: Student Workers
Job Summary: This full-time position provides secretarial support for the Director, Department Chairs, and faculty in all SON programs.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
- Commitment to the discovery of knowledge
- Civil debate
- Passion and enthusiasm
- Dignity and respect for individuals
- A diverse and inclusive community
- Integrity and responsibility
- Advancement of the greater good
1. Maintain Director’s appointment calendar and makes travel arrangements for faculty as needed.
2. Serve as primary receptionist for office.
3. Facilitate prospective student inquiries including answering questions, mailing letters and liaison with Admission.
4. Perform routine secretarial duties for Director, Department Chairs, and faculty, including typing letters, memos, reports, and contracts; setting up meetings; creating agendas; taking/distributing minutes of committee meeting; ordering office supplies; ordering lab supplies, running Scantron, ordering nursing bags; and placing work orders.
5. Type and assemble course materials for faculty and maintain course materials on computer and in SON files.
6. Maintain confidentiality of office.
7. Maintain paper trail of budget line items; enter information into Excel; check monthly reports against online information and correct discrepancies; prepare check requests, process Visa bills, and process bills for payment. Prepare budget report for the Dean of CPS.
8. Maintain filing system including incoming, current, and graduate academic records for all students in the undergraduate program.
9. Supervise student workers and assist student lab assistants with time sheets.
10. Compile and analyze data needed for reports. Prepare reports for mailing within stated deadlines as directed by the Director.
11. Prepare and maintain all forms developed by the School of Nursing.
12. Maintain archives for the School of Nursing.
13. Proof applications for licensure and prepare data for University verification of completion of nursing program, and prepare for mailing immediately after commencement as directed by the Director.
14. Assist with the updating and maintenance of the Faculty Resource Book online.
15. Maintain and track progression and attrition.
16. Work in collaboration with other Administrative Assistants to further the goals of the academic divisions.
17. Maintain familiarity with Banner and generate reports as needed. Assign advisors and forward to the CPS Dean’s administrative assistant for entry into system.
18. Maintain and track class lists and advising list.
21. Create posters and flyers using computer software for posting events during the semester.
22. Assists with special events such as preview days, college events and graduation ceremonies.
23. Generate letter and informational packet that are sent to students prior to starting NU 200.
23. Order ATI books for incoming NU 200 students. Complete and distribute ATI code lists for new cohort to SON faculty.
24. Generate faculty informational sheet by academic year to assist with report preparation.
25. Prepare student folders for all incoming freshman and transfer students.
26. Organize materials and information for freshman orientation and registration and for advising days to help facilitate advising.
27. Prepare and send needed student information to clinical sites.
28. Collect and save all course syllabi by semester and all faculty vitae electronically.
29. Assist with preparing for accreditation.
30. Monitor receipt of assessment and lab fees.
31. Update continuous graduation lists; send information to Alumni & Development.
32. Maximize security of School of Nursing office and clinical classrooms.
33. Tracks and keeps current undergraduate traditional student clinical/health
records.(CPR, TB, Hepatitis, Varicella, Rubella, etc.) to comply with agency
34. Serves as administrative assistant liaison to new and adjunct faculty (order keys,
name plates, books, etc).
35. Oversees and updates website for undergraduate program and general SON webpages.
36. Cross trains to learn duties of other SON Administrative Assistant position in order to be able to fulfill their duties in case of absence or in times of high demand to maintain smooth operations of the SON office.
1. Other duties as assigned by the Director of the School of Nursing and Department Chairs.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
- High School Diploma; Course emphasis on secretarial sciences preferred.
- Two to three years’ previous office experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with a minimum keyboard speed of 50 wpm
- Ability to work cooperatively with various constituents of the university
- High level of integrity and confidentiality
- Knowledge or ability to learn website management and updates to the SON website
- Knowledge or ability to learn social media eg. Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Knowledge or ability to learn the requirements for all SON Programs
- Exceptional organizational and problem solving skills; flexibility and willingness to accept change.
- Dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Occasional lifting of 25 lbs. or less
- Sitting/standing/walking/climbing stairs.
- Hearing and visual acuity within normal range
- Typical working conditions found in most administrative work areas
- Schedule flexibility is required to accommodate changing business needs.