To assist international students to communicate effectively and appropriately in English and in everyday academic contexts, to gain a better understanding of U.S. society, to enhance cross-cultural awareness and communication skills, and to succeed in their academic and professional life.
Our vision is to be recognized as the innovative leader in English language instruction in Illinois.
We Focus on You and Your Success
Millikin is a place where you will be considered, be involved and be successful.
- ELC students are integrated into Millikin University. They live in Millikin residence halls, dine in the campus cafeteria, have access to computer, sports and other facilities, and can participate in the 90 organizations and other activities with Millikin degree-seeking students.
- The ELC curriculum is consistent with what students are expected to do in Millikin University classrooms. The ELC curriculum combines general and academic English with a “learning by doing” approach.
- ELC courses integrate the “four skills” of speaking, listening, reading, and writing. Course blogs, student-led discussions of readings, and audio journals are just a few of the ways we do this at the ELC.
- ELC students from different levels work together to complete real-world projects. For example, students use technology such as PowerPoint, iMovie, iBooks Author, and Podcast Publisher to give presentations and create videos, podcasts, eBooks and newsletters.
- ELC students own their learning: They create ePortfolios to highlight how they have improved over a semester. These ePortfolios grow with students as they continue at the ELC.
- The ELC curriculum is connected with the Millikin campus and surrounding communities. For example:
- ELC students present at campus events
- Participate in class discussions with Millikin degree-seeking students
- Take part in fun communicative activities such as role plays and debates with American students
- Perform community service, collaborate with local schools, and go on trips to places in Illinois and cities in other states.
Outstanding Student Services and Opportunities
- Orientation week
- Outstanding campus activities, parties and excursions
- Designated computer laboratories with ESL software
- Full access to University services and services included Sport indoor Club, fitness, tennis courts, student clubs and organizations, library, computer labs, wireless internet, cafeteria and cafes, career center
- Friendship family program