A*C*E: Arts, Creativity, & Entrepreneurship
November 10, 2012, 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Kirkland Fine Arts Center
1184 W Main St.
Decatur, IL 62522
We are excited to extend an invitation to students, parents, and art teachers to attend an engaging part of the High School Art Show experience, compliments of the Millikin University Art Department and Center for Entrepreneurship.
A*C*E Workshops offer:
- A chance to see the Millikin art studios and campus
- An opportunity for high school participants to interact with Millikin art students
- Raise awareness of opportunities and careers within the arts
- Gain insight into the college art experience at Millikin
- Interact with representatives from the Art Department and Center for Entrepreneurship
We will have a studio session just for Art Teachers again this year! Based on interest, we will select either a 3-D clay workshop or a 2-D printmaking workshop. Please let us know your preference via email: email@example.com.
All sessions take place in Kirkland Fine Arts Center
||Check-in/Registration, Gallery Open
||Preparing to be a College Art Student
Preparing a Portfolio for College Submission
Presenter: Lyle Salmi, Professor, Millikin Art Department
What should your portfolio look like as a prospective student? What do colleges want to see? How can you be prepared ahead of time? What can you do NOW to start building your portfolio? Come and listen to Professor Salmi talk about the do’s and don’ts of putting together your portfolio for submission to a college art department.
Q and A: Transitioning from High School to College
Hear from several current college students about the transition from high school to college. Bring your questions regarding this major life transition!
||Open Drawing Session for Students
Presenters: Millikin drawing students
An A*C*E favorite! An open drawing session led by Millikin drawing students. Materials will be provided.
Professor Lyle Salmi will be leading a workshop where teachers will be introduced to two distinct methods/techniques, which will then be layered:
1. Free- Form “saranagraph” color monotypes
2. Trace monotypes
Teachers are invited to bring their own image for the tracing portion or it can be done freehand.
||Young Professional Artists Roundtable
M. Ben Cohan - Painter, Art Instructor at Lake Land Community College
Molly Heise - Publications and Graphic Designer, The Howard G. Buffett Foundation
Leah Swenson - Graduate Student, Art Therapy
Amy Kuhl Cox - Professional Artist
Hear from young professionals about their careers and their paths to get to where they are now. It will be a fantastic opportunity to ask questions, gain insights, and explore some possibilities for your future!
|| Awards Presentation
Please RSVP by 5:00 pm on November 5, 2012
Don’t miss this opportunity to participate in a professional gallery experience!
- Students, parents, and art teachers are invited to attend A*C*E
- Dress comfortably. Causal dress is appropriate.
- Paper, pens, and folders as well as all materials used in the studios will be provided so you do not need to bring anything.
- Eat lunch on your own before A*C*E. We will have drinks and light snacks.
Here are some nearby restaurants we recommend:
- Donnie's Pizza (126 S Oakland Ave)
- Lock, Stock, and Barrel (129 S Oakland Ave)
- University Dogs (1135 W Wood St)
- A*C*E will take place entirely in Kirkland Fine Arts Center (directions)
- Please arrive around 12:45 pm so we can begin on time
Please contact us with any questions or concerns.