Students must assume certain roles and responsibilities to ensure the success of an internship.
Prior to the internship, students will:
- Discuss internship ideas with faculty advisor and identify appropriate faculty supervisor/sponsor.
- Follow Millikin University guidelines for internship approval, development, and registration.
- Work with the faculty supervisor/sponsor to develop written goals and objectives with clear outcomes.
- Select an agency preceptor that has strong knowledge and skills in the area of focus.
During the internship:
- Be respectful.
- Maintain a positive attitude, and show interest and openness.
- Exhibit a desire to learn; learning is not a passive process but one that requires active commitment.
- Use good communication skills – actively listen.
- Do not practice without preceptor supervision; seek appropriate help in unfamiliar situations.
- Do not accept responsibility for something if it is beyond your scope of practice or ability – be honest.
- Be proactive in planning and sharing your learning goals. Make sure your preceptor is aware of those goals.
- Meet with your preceptor frequently, request feedback, and review goal achievement.
- Meet with your faculty preceptor frequently to review internship experience and goal achievement.
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner and in accordance with the values of the institution – including dress.
- Participate in any necessary clinical agency orientation and be compliant with agency policies and procedures.
- Adhere to schedule established with preceptor. If unable to attend because of illness or other emergency situation, be sure to contact the preceptor faculty prior to the scheduled time.
- Complete work outcomes established for the internship and submit to faculty supervisor in time frame established in internship outcomes.