Frequently Asked Questions

How does one determine which courses count as International Cultures and Structures?

All courses which count for ICS will be tagged, and a list of possible ICS courses will be available from the Advising web page before advising begins.

What are the "double dipping" rules?

"Double-dipping" refers to utilizing a single course to satisfy multiple requirements.

How is math placement determined?

Math placement will be determined by the math subscore on the ACT or SAT exam and / or Compass placement tests, according to the following rules:

ACT Math Sub-Score Range

Math Course

16 or below ACT
449 or below SAT


17  to 18  ACT
450 to 499  SAT


19 to 21 ACT
500 to 559  SAT


22 to 24 ACT
560 to 619 SAT

 MA109, MA110, PH213, or PS/SO 201*  

 25 and above ACT
620 and above SAT
 MA109, MA110, MA112, MA113, MA115, MA120, PH213, or PS/SO201
25 and above  ACT, or
620 and above SAT,
AND Pass Calculus Readiness Test   
MA140 & above

What constitutes quantitative reasoning in University Studies?

Students must complete a minimum of three credits in quantitative reasoning as part of University Studies. Any three or four credit math course numbered above 106 qualifies as a Quantitative Reasoning course. For all students, quantitative reasoning courses may include:

ACT Math Sub-Score Range

Math Course

22, 23, or 24

 MA109, MA110, PH213, or PS/SO 201


 MA109, MA110, MA112, MA113, MA115, MA120, PH213, or PS/SO201

25 + Pass the Calculus
Readiness Test, or Pass MA115      

 MA140 and higher

What constitutes "natural science" in University Studies?

Students complete a minimum of four credits in the natural sciences as part of University Studies. Natural sciences courses MUST incorporate a lab component. Courses for non- science majors include, but are not limited to:

  • Biology 102, 125, 130
  • Chemistry 121 & 151
  • Physics 100/104, 101/105, 106, 121/171, & 151/171.

What constitutes "fine arts" in University Studies?

Students complete a minimum of three credits in music, art, theatre or dance as part of University Studies. Courses for non-fine arts majors include, but are not limited to:

  • Art 101, 235
  • Music History 100, 110, 213
  • Philosophy 309
  • Theatre 103
  • Dance courses (by permission of instructor)

What constitutes "off-campus learning" in the University Studies?

Students complete a minimum of three credits in off-campus experience as part of the MPSL. Examples of off-campus experiences include:

  • Internships
  • Practicums
  • Field work
  • Client-based work
  • Student teaching
  • Study abroad
  • Service learning courses
  • Washington semester
  • Urban Life Center

Many majors have opportunities or requirements that fulfill this requirement already in place. Students should consult with their academic advisors to determine how best to complete this requirement.

What constitutes "historical studies" and "literature" in the Arts & Sciences distribution requirement?

A list of possible Historical Studies Literature courses (including IN courses) will be available from the Advising web page before advising starts.

What constitutes "social science" in the Arts & Sciences distribution requirement?

A minimum of three credits in social science is required for students in the College of Arts & Sciences. Types of classes meeting this requirement include:

  • Any Sociology course
  • Any Political Science course
  • EC 100
  • PS 204, 305
  • CO 310, 331, 332, 343, 344, 432

What is the distinction between a "Bachelor of Arts" and a "Bachelor of Science" degree?

Some majors are designated as Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees, while others are designated as Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees. Certain majors allow students to choose either a B.A. or a B.S. degree, while others do not. The B.A. degree requires successful completion of a modern language. Modern Languages faculty determine course placement (Beginning, Continuing, Intermediate) based on evaluation of high school transcripts. Although students may not enroll in a level above or below their placement, they may start the study of a new language at the Beginning level. The requirement of the B.A. degree is a matter of proficiency equivalent to three college semesters of a single foreign language. Students demonstrate this proficiency by completing an Intermediate (223) course, or by completion of a proficiency exam administered in the Modern Languages department. The B.S. degree requires completion of a science distribution. While all students are required to complete at least four credits in natural science and at least three credits in quantitative reasoning, B.S. candidates must complete an ADDITIONAL ten credits in science/quantitative reasoning. These ten credits MUST include at least one lab science course and must come from NO MORE THAN TWO departments (outside of students' major) in biology, chemistry, mathematics, and computer science. Credits from MA 100 and MA 106 do NOT count in the science distribution for the B.S. degree. While students completing a B.S degree are not required to study a foreign language, they may do so to complete the Intercultural Studies requirement of University Studies.

Q: How does completing an Associates Degree (A.A., A.S.) affect progress in University Studies?

Transfer students who complete an Associates Degree prior to enrollment at Millikin will have met the University Studies requirements of the first two years. Transfer students who have completed an Associates Degree ARE EXEMPT from:

  • University Seminar (IN 140)
  • Critical Writing, Reading and Researching I and II (IN 150 & IN 151)
  • U. S. Cultural and Structural Studies (IN 250 & IN 251)
  • International Cultures & Structures
  • Oral Communication 
  • Natural Science
  • Quantitative Reasoning
  • Fine Arts

Transfer students who have completed an Associates Degree ARE NOT exempt from:

  • Global Issues (IN 350)
  • Off-campus learning
  • School/Division Requirements (including social science and historical studies for majors in the Arts & Sciences)
  • The language requirement for the Bachelor of Arts degree
  • The literature requirement for the Arts & Sciences

Does Millikin accept AP or CLEP credit?

Millikin may award unspecified credit and appropriate placement to students with Advanced Placement Examination grades of 3, 4 or 5. Exemptions from specific courses are granted subject to department recommendation. Millikin may award credit for the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) so long as the score is at or above the 50th percentile and so long as the student has not attended secondary school in the past three years. Three to six credits may be awarded, depending on the exam completed. Generally, CLEP credit is awarded in areas outside of a student's major. CLEP credit for English is NOT accepted for students majoring in education.

Q: What are the policies and procedures for taking courses "Pass/Fail"?
Full-time students with a 3.0 cumulative grade point average and junior or senior standing may elect to take pass/fail courses. A grade of P will not be computed in students' grade point averages.

Restrictions to the pass/fail option are as follows:

  • The pass/fail option does NOT include courses in the major except by permission of the department chair or major coordinator.
  • The pass/fail option does NOT include core courses in the Tabor School of Business (including MA 120 and MA 220) and the School of Music except by permission of the Dean.
  • Students taking a course pass/fail MUST earn at least a C- in the course in order for the Registrar to post a P grade. Grades below C- WILL be recorded in students' academic history and WILL be counted in the cumulative grade point average.
  • Students repeating a course may NOT opt to complete the course pass/fail.

Students planning to transfer or students planning to pursue advanced degrees should be aware that some institutions might not be willing to consider those students with pass/fail grades on their official transcript.

Q: What are the policies and procedures relating to incomplete grades?
A temporary course grade of incomplete (I) may be given as the result of illness or other factors beyond a student's control as determined by the instructor. Incomplete grades must be removed within the first eight weeks of the following semester. After the eighth week, incomplete grades automatically become an F unless an extension is granted. The course instructor and the Dean of the appropriate school must approve requests for extension.

Q: What is Millikin's course overload policy?
In general, students may not register for more than 18 credits per semester without being assessed an overload fee. Students with questions or concerns about course overload should contact the Registrar's office.

Q: What is "registration validation"?
Each semester, all returning undergraduate students must validate their registration prior to the first day of class. Students validate by accessing their secure site at MU Online. Students who do not validate their registration may have their schedules withdrawn. In addition, students who do not validate and who do not officially withdraw prior to the start of classes may be liable to pay all tuitions and fees.

Q: What is "academic progress" as it relates to class level and financial aid?
Academic progress as it relates to class level (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) is determined by number of credits completed:


Credits Completed

Class Level







88 and above


In order remain eligible for financial aid, students must complete 2/3 (67%) of the credits that they attempt. Students who fail to meet this standard for the first time will be given a semester of "probation" in which financial aid eligibility is retained. Students on financial aid "probation" must then complete 3/4 (75%) of the credits that they attempt.

Please note that students who average 12 credits per semester will NOT complete their degree in four years. Students who fall behind are encouraged to attend Immersion and summer semesters to earn needed credits.

Q: How do I request an official academic transcript?
Official transcripts must be obtained through the Registrar's office. Students may request transcripts in person by visiting the Registrar's office in Gorin 16 or by Current Millikin students will be charged $2 per request, while alumni will be charged $5.

Q:  What are the procedures relating to repeating a course?
Students may repeat a course grade once to improve the grade.  The Registrar's office will use the last grade posted to calculate cumulative GPA.  Students repeating a course should complete a Repeated Course Form and submit it to the Registrar's office.

Students are encouraged to repeat failed grades as soon as possible. Students should understand that while repeating a course once removes the initial grade from the GPA, repeating a course does NOT remove the original grade from the academic transcript.