Hello fellow citizens! The year is 2025, and we have a problem here on Earth. We are running out of enough space and resources for everyone on our planet, and we need your expert team to help to solve the problem!
Teacher Candidate: Miss Katherine Sheahan Grade Level: 3rd
Content Area: science Topic: earth and the planets
Title of Web Quest: What in the World?
Description of Web Quest: students will research details about what makes Earth livable, compare the facts of other planets, determine why Earth is currently the best planet for human life, and brainstorm ideas on how to keep it that way.
State Goal 11: Understand the process of scientific inquiry and technological design to investigate questions, conduct experiments and solve problems.
- A (2a, 2c, 2d, 2e) Know and apply the concepts, principles, and processes of scientific inquiry.
State Goal 12: Understand the fundamental concepts, principles, and interconnections of the life, physical and earth/space sciences.
- E (1a, 2a, 1b) Know and apply concepts that describe the features and processes of the Earth and its resources.
- F (1a) Know and apply concepts the explain the composition and the structure of the universe and Earth’s place in it.
State Goal 13: Understand the relationships among science, technology and society in historical and contemporary contexts.
- B (1e, 2d) Know and apply concepts that describe the interaction between science, technology, and society.
State Goal 17: Understand world geography and the effects of geography on society, with an emphasis on the United States.
- C (2c) Understand relationships between geographic factors and society.
2. (a, d) Communication and Collaboration
3. (b) Research and Information Fluency
4. (a, b, c, d) Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making
5. (a, b) Digital Citizenship
Your job is to find out whether or not living on another planet is an option. Tell us why or why not by comparing facts about Earth to those about other planets. Find out ways we can help our Earth and stop the problem from continuing.
· Complete the data chart provided by our government to help organize the facts you collect.
· Draw a detailed illustration of the solar system and its planets.
· Design and create a campaign poster for “Go Green”
Process (including learning goals)
Geologist- Your job is to study Earth in particular. Take notes on our weather patterns and climate. You will collect detailed research and organize your facts about facts about Earth’s climate, atmosphere, composition, weather, etc.
NASA Researcher- Your job is to collect and organize data of all the planets. Use the graphic organizer provided. Once completed, use it to compare to the data collected about Earth.
Astronaut- You will "travel” to other planets and record observations and information and about the physical nature of each planet. Draw sketches depicting what the planets look like with explanations and notes for each.
“Go Green Leader”- Research what has happened here on Eart and what humans have done to cause the problems. You will oversee the deign of the campaign poster, focusing on a "Go Green" message for keeping Earth as liveable as possible.
The Earth’s Atmosphere
Details about the Earth’s atmosphere with links to facts about the other planets too.
What is climate?
A scientific look at exactly what climate is.
Universe Cycle- Solar System
Short description of the atmospheres of all the different planets.
Exploring the Planets
Links for all the planets and a comparison section.
Global Warming Basics
Common questions and answers about global warming.
Global Warming- Kids Page
Another look at some basic global warming facts.
Global Warming Fast Facts
A more in depth look at global warming from National Geographic.
The Nine Planets- An Introduction
More links to facts about each planet.
Links with quick facts for each planet.
Links to each planet with more information.
Conclusion (Extended Application)
Congratulations! Your team has successfully helped the planet by researching and observing the characteristics of Earth and the rest of our solar system. More importantly, you are spreading awareness of how we can make this planet a better place to live. Now, what can you start doing today to really make that happen? How can your friends and family Go Green?