Organizational Leadership Certificate
Students who complete a certificate in Organizational Leadership (OL) will become more effective organizational members, whether their chosen career is in business, non-profits, arts, agriculture, service, sales or government. Students will possess strong leadership, communications, team building, and ethical decision-making skills, along with a greater understanding of organization behavior. Students will utilize their skills to analyze, interpret, and reflect on the impact a local organization has on its people (and vice versa); providing a career-enhancing performance learning opportunity and developing a network of professional contacts while still at Millikin. Note: This program is offered in non-traditional, online and accelerated formats to non-OL majors only. Unlike OL Major courses, the minor courses do not require acceptance into Millikin’s PACE program.
Program Learning Outcome Goals
- Interpret organizational issues and determine effective solutions consistent with organizational goals.
- Evaluate changes in the internal and external environments of organizations and construct appropriate response strategies taking into consideration the organization’s political, social and cultural context.
- Design effective team-based, collaborative approaches for creative organizational solutions; while supporting increased organizational capacity for change.
- Use ethical reasoning to judge whether the actions and behaviors of leaders are ethically and socially responsible; while supporting an organizational system which maintains high ethical standards in response to organizational issues.
- Evaluate an organization in action. This performance learning experience will include on-site visits to discuss organizational issues, analyze the issues in relation to program concepts and theories, recommend changes, and reflect upon the student’s realizations about organizational leadership.
- OL300. Self-Leadership (3)
- OL344. Organizational Leadership (3)
- OL306. Organizational Behavior (3)
- OL310. Group and Team Dynamics (3)
Total Credit Hours = 12
The certificate requires fewer hours than the full Organizational Leadership minor, and is not equivalent to the minor. This is a stand-alone program of focused study. Part-time non-degree seeking students or community members may complete this program with an academic degree from Millikin or elsewhere. The certificate is intended to provide a foundational set of courses emphasizing theory and practice in organizational leadership. Students will be able to complete the required coursework with 2-4 semesters. This program is offered in non-traditional, online and accelerated formats only.