The Millikin University English Language Center(ELC) is a 4-level transition program that prepares international students for undergraduate degree programs at Millikin University. All ELC students have been conditionally admitted to Millikin. Come see the English Language Center (ELC) on Facebook.
The ELC’s mission is to provide a curricular and co-curricular program of study, which improves students’ English language skills in order to:
- Prepare you for academic and professional success, and
- Prepare you for scholarly and personal engagement in the global community.
Courses & Activities
The ELC curriculum combines general English and an academic English skills focus with project-based learning. In addition to Listening & Speaking, Reading, Writing, Grammar and American Studies courses, students:
- Take part in a conversation program with Millikin students
- Have regular educational activities such as games and debates
- Engage with guest speakers
- Participate in for-credit classes with Millikin students and faculty
- Complete projects with real-world application
- Enjoy off-campus activities and go on trips with Millikin students
ELC students are integrated into the Millikin campus. They live in Millikin residence halls, dine in the campus cafeteria, have access to computer, sports and other facilities, and can participate in the 90 organizations and other activities with Millikin degree-seeking students.
The ELC academic calendar is divided into two 16-week semesters. The fall semester begins the last week of August and ends the second week of December. The spring semester begins the last week of January and ends the second week of May.
ELC teachers have a master's degree (MA) in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) or a closely related field. They also have numerous years of English language teaching experience in the U.S. and/or other countries.